Thursday, October 28, 2010

World Series Trip Day 1

This was an amazing day.  The second best baseball game I've ever attended in my life (I was at Game 7 of the World Series when the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in '01.  If I was able to attend the Giants' clinching game this year, that game would easily vault to #1).  Here are some pics of me and my brother (@gohandrake) at the game (my dad didn't want to spend $500 on a SRO ticket, although he will tomorrow):




Buster kicked it in the room and watched the game while we were gone (I'm not shitting you, I left the game on and turned the TV to face him and placed him on a table watching the TV).  But there is some sad news regarding buster.  He kinda lost his head over this whole World Series trip.  Literally.  I've had him for about 15-20 years now.  About 15 or so years ago, he fell off of the top shelf of my bookshelf in my room.  His head fell off and his face fell to pieces.  Back then I glued everything back together and painted it up the best I could.  So I got to the hotel earlier today and I opened up my suitcase after the flight and found his head detached at the neck.  This is the first time since then that his head broke off at the neck.  I placed it back on and let him watch the game.  (Remind me to get some glue on this trip)

The game itself was awesome.  Steve got A LOT of shit from all of the Giants' fans (me included).  He got threatened a handful of times (again, some times from me) but thank goodness we avoided violence.  (I'm so disappointed he never got his ass kicked).  We walked all around the park and saw Willie McCovey and McCovey Cove.  We had a drink, almost got in MORE fights (WHY DID YOU HAVE TO WEAR THAT JERSEY?!?!?!)

Rangers took an early 2-0 lead, but the Giants came back and tied it and then blew up the 5th inning with 6 runs.  It was indescribable (but I'll do my best).  I was born and raised in Phoenix.  I haven't been in San Francisco since I was too young to remember.  Today I was a San Franciscan.  I wore black and orange and was asked if I had season tickets, asked how many post season games I had been to.  I was high five-ing and hugging people who literally embraced me as one of them, or at least as one of theirs.  WE - yes WE rocked that place.  I almost cried.  A few times.  Okay, a bunch of times.  This is MY team that I've loved since the day I was born.  I grew up revering Willie Mays, Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal and adoring Will Clark, Matt Williams, Kevin Mitchell, Robby Thompson, and Barry Bonds (pre-roids).  And everyone else there today had as well.

I don't have to go over the play-by-play.  ESPN will do that every hour until about 8am tomorrow morning.  As an experience, it was one like I'd never experienced before.

And I'm going back again tomorrow.

-FBW

No comments:

Post a Comment